Wednesday 5 May 2010

Space of Production

Reading
theory to understand the idea space and production, brief






Finding Spot
no easy, challenge to communicate design

I telephoned and emailed many factories and shops to see if I can get access into the shop to see the working process. My favorite places are food related. Then I found this small gelato shop near South Kensington.








Observation
know the making gelato process and watch the details

In the space of production project, taking photos are not allowed. So I mainly used the way of personal observation. I stayed at oddono's gelato shop for 5 days to watch the customers and the makers. I also ordered different flavors to try myself to be a customer.




Drawing
basic on what is the store like and general observation drawing

the display of store



How is a gelato made






People's routine in store



Sound record (background music, machinery noises and people talking)






Timeline
the process of a gelato

I also research online about the history of gelato and the process. Along with the observation I made the timeline of the relationship of the status of gelato with time






Thinking Flow
know process of making gelato and present, explore spatial relationships between things

the journey of a gelato-e.g.what is the relationship between gelato and corn.






Interview
know from a different angle

After observation, I also interviewed some staffs about where they get raw materials, sell to whom and their working conditions (pay/environment).




Ideation Drawing
drawing with thinking

4 rough ideas were generated using the method of ideation drawing.

globalization-local and transportation



dilemma-taste and health



robot-human





melt









Research
know different aspects of melts- in music, literature, environment, etc.

I researched online and thought about what is melt and tried to using a melting process to argue what has been melted. Then I generated the idea to design a sand glass object to keep people aware of passing time.However, since the status of sand remains the same, so I thought of using gelato as the material. But then the expense is too much so I chose ice as a replacement.

global warming





person melting-disaster?






Sketch
add aesthetic value

Before modeling, sketch was drawn to argue which shape is best for the project.









Experiment
scientific support

Before modeling, I thought about different materials. Gelato is my 1st option but since it is expensive I shifted to ice which is cheaper and easily accessible. 1st I did some tests on how long will ice be melted in average climate (20-25degree, room temperature). Since the focus in on the passing time, the time does not need to be exact.









Modeling&Research
find out a better way to present and adjusting while modeling

I then went to supermarkets to choose the best shape match and with the help of workshop staff to do the mockups.













For the material which can change color melting water, I researched online and found these Hydro chromatic inks. I emailed some companies for samples, but I didn't get any replys. Since I can't get access, I used the thermo chromatic inks as a replacement in the model.








Outcome






Revaluation
rethink the proposal

The design proposal works not just as a clock but aims at aware people of about the passing time. What did you do/achieve in the past 20mins? Since the idea is very abstract, maybe the upper shape can be changed into the money shape. So it will be clearly seen that money=time and is wasted.




See details in Space of Production.pdf
http://methodsandprocesses.pbworks.com/browse/#view=ViewFolder&param=space%2520of%2520production-gelato




Redo
Then I got to know that I didn't have a design context for this project. What it is for? Who would be the users? And how can the users get involved?
in my experiment before,in room 20 degree,a ice block takes 3 hs to be melted thoroughly. So what could people do in 3hs?
Then I am thinking about time and things to be done during this time period. The idea earth hour timer came to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Hour
Earth Hour is a global event organized by WWF (World Wide Fund for Nature, also known as World Wildlife Fund) and is held on the last Saturday of March annually, asking households and businesses to turn off their non-essential lights and other electrical appliances for one hour to raise awareness towards the need to take action on climate change.

This product is an supply design for WWF and earth hour campaign while people shut off lights they could have a device not only to sense the timing passing but also enables a reflection space so that people can think why we need earth hour campaign and how individual can do for the environment.








Mock up









Another Idea
When you melt, you can be angry and you need a place to release your bad emotion. The Drown Your Enemy Toy Serial is made of ice and enables you feel cool after drowning your enemy.









No comments:

Post a Comment